"They dined on mince and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon. And hand in hand by the edge of the sand they danced by the light of the moon."~from The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear
This is one of my favorite poems which I can recite from memory. It reminds me of a library patron who would come in and quote poetry to me each time she would see me. This happened after we had talked at the desk a few times about poetry when she checked out books. I haven't seen her in a while and I miss those exchanges. That little bit of whimsey just added something to an otherwise ordinary day. I often wonder where she is now and if I will ever see her again.

What a lovely post! I love those moments when you share something special with a patron, there are people I still reminisce about from my old library...
ReplyDeleteThat is a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Working in public service, we have many wonderful encounters with people that sometimes get overshadowed by the unpleasant ones. Stories like this remind me why I became a librarian.
ReplyDelete